Friday, January 10, 2014

Sweet Dreams

I love sleeping. I love it so much because I rarely get to do enough of it between 2 jobs and being a full time nursing student. I relish the feeling of my pillows and my memory foam mattress, my dog curled up at my feet. Seriously, sleep is almost a religion.  

So, a sleep study sounded right up my alley.  It's not like I had a choice anyway - it is a requirement of Penn that all gastic bypass patients undergo a sleep study, because of the high risk of sleep apnea (which apparently a super high percentage of obese patients suffer from).  I personally think it's kind of silly - why make you do the study?  If it's almost a givin that a prospective patient will need sleep apnea care / risk managment during and post surgery, why not just implement a management plan no matter what, and skip the study?  I digress.  

I seriously envisioned some kind of futuristic, Jettsons type setting, with wires and tubes and beeping things and a sick silver helmet that interpreted my dreams while I lay spread eagled on a strange looking but oh so comfortable bed.  Hell, I EXCEL at sleeping.  It's kind of my thing.  I thought I had this in the bag.  

So I was tad bit confused when Googlemaps took me to this location:  


I was confused.  Still, I went inside and the nice people at the FRONT DESK gave me a room number and a key.  My face must have given away my misgivings, as the girl at the desk giggled.  I walkd to room 107 and felt a bit better when I found this:


Inside the room were some monitors, a nice bed, a tv, and a nurse who looked quite bored and sleepy herself (I mean, it can't be that exciting to watch people sleep while you get to stay awake).  She took one look at me in my PAJAMAS (did i not mention that?) and my overnight back and shook her head.  

No?

Apparently someone neglected to tell me that I had qualified for a home sleep study.  Which on the surface sounds better, but... I'm not so sure.  Instead of having a qualified professional attach alll the various wires and monitoring devices, I was trusted to do it myself (thank you?).  I tried my best to keep everything in order and I was vaugely successful?  I don't honestly know. What I do know is that this sleep study was difficult to schedule, necessary in order to schedule my surgery, and strange to do myself.  Here, have a couple of hilarious photos.  

          Ghostdog was unhelpful

         All dressed up but nowhere to go

I promise some Dallas updates and background soon, as I'm pretty sure this is a blog about horses?  I don't know for sure though.  Stay tuned!






 

No comments:

Post a Comment